Thursday, June 13, 2013

Cloth Diapers...what??


Ten months into disposable diapers...and I've switched over.  Joyfully in fact! I always wanted to use cloth diapers.  Mostly because all my friend do, but once you are in the disposables routine, its hard to give it up, and being trendy is not enough motivation.  My personal thoughts against it were...I hate laundry and avoid it for as long as possible. We had lots of gift cards to buy diapers.  It was easy.  We got comfortable.

Here are the events that slowly changed my mind...

  • Cole's cloth swim diaper (above) is super cute and I started getting the itch.
  •  We started looking at our budget and spending on Excel.  The grocery category (including diapers) was outrageous.
  • A friend announced on Facebook that her home was diaper-free after 10 YEARS. Gross. 
  • I now do laundry more frequently...like a big girl...without complaining.
  • Cole's poop is always dumped into the toilet so it doesn't stink up the house.
  • Tom was on board.
So we did it! I am 24 hours into it, and it has been smooth so far.  Cole pooped within 10 minutes of wearing his first diaper...haha!!! But it was so nice not having the thoughts of wasting another diaper. Love that! We spent just under $300 for 19 diapers, wet bags, detergent and a few extra accessories.  Not bad at all!

I should also mention that we are in this gig at about 80%.  I am not fully committed to nighttime diapers yet...I don't currently change Cole at night.  He is still a terrible sleeper.  And I don't want to throw wet diapers into the mix.  Maybe in a month or so.  I also have no plans to use cloth diapers on outings or with traveling. 

I used Young House Love's blog and my friend's blog from A&M to help me pick my loot.  So thankful for these extremely detailed updates on how cloth diapering is going for them, even after 1 and 2 years. 
Can you tell that Cole has a fever and was throwing up last night? Poor little one!

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Outings are so easy! I RARELY change diapers out of the house. Glad you're enjoying it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you need any help or advice let me know! We use them and love it! we dont cloth when we are out and about just for convenience sake but we do at home snd have been super pleased. we also use bum genius too

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still looking for that motivation... go you!!

    ReplyDelete