Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Master Bedroom Redo

For Christmas this year, we decided it was time to ditch the 25 year old mattress and get a new one.  A KING size.  Tom is loving the extra room and I am sleeping so much better! This did mean that we needed new bedding. And of course that snowballed into the start of a master bedroom redo.

First, let's take a walk down memory lane and giggle as we remember life before Pinterest and the DIY era.

Bedding from our wedding registry in our quaint first apartment. $600/month!!!

New house, means new bedding right!? (Didn't know a king was in the near future.  Oops.)
The latest!
 We painted and made the curtains awhile back. The tricky part of finding new bedding was that I refused to repaint or change the curtains leaving us with few options. The quilt, chevron blanket, sweater knit blanket and bedskirt are all from Target.

I made the euro shams out of a $16 twin quilt. That was pretty exciting after looking at some online for $30-50 each. I also sewed the throw pillows.  I don't love the fabric, but it only cost $9 for all three pillows...so those might change if I find something I like more. This project has taught me a lot about sewing! I wish we needed more pillows...haha!!

I painted both nightstands and added new hardware. The paint I picked out at Home Depot was definitely cream.  These look pretty white to me. Ha!! I still like them.  Lamps are from Home Goods, $30 each.

 

The headboard.  Isn't she beautiful? We were able to use the bed frame from our guest bedroom, so that was free, but meant a headboard was "needed." We bought 1"x 6" wood boards for $33 total and reused the stain from our floating shelves. That's it! We took an afternoon to sand, cut and stain the wood, and then a hour to drill directly into the wall the following day. Super easy. We could have saved some time by using one long board per row, but naturally I requested more work from my husband.  


That will be all for a while.  I want to do something with the dresser and lingerie chest, but I can't decide on paint color or refinishing.  And wouldn't a chair look great in that corner of Cole's toys? Also some wall art and a different lamp shade. Ahh the projects never end. It's so fun though!

 


Hello from Cole and "Elmommy" at the Super Bowl party.

 




 
 

2 comments:

  1. It looks great! I need to get out my sewing machine - such a good idea to make the shams from a quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm obsessed with y'alls room! You'll need to help me one day to get ours up to this caliber! Great job!

    ReplyDelete