Friday, June 8, 2012

The First Trimester

Time to start documenting my pregnancy experience!

On December 15, 2011...the little stick revealed that we were pregnant! It was definitely a swirl of emotions, mostly disbelief and a good amount of shock and fear...the excitement and joy came soon after... There is definitely a reason the Lord gives us 9 months to prepare for this addition!

With Christmas right around the corner, we wanted to give gifts that would reveal our big news.  For my parents, we made a photo album for my niece Brooke that gave away our big secret towards the end. We FaceTimed with them to show them the book, so they wouldn't have to wait until our family gathering over New Years.

For Tom's family, we put together a picture frame revealing our "bun in the oven." Jill was the first one to guess what we were trying to tell them!!!


We had to wait until 8 weeks to first visit the doctor, but they did confirm, P-R-E-G-N-A-N-T and showed us some cute pictures of our little peanut.  We went back at 11 weeks, and then had our special needs test at 13 weeks.  I was not expecting our baby to be moving around this early in the game, but at the 11 week and 13 week sonograms, there was kicking and spinning and rolling like crazy. It definitely made it more real to us that there was a human inside of me and that it was our child.  CRAZY!


Here comes the ridiculous part...I felt so bloated and huge probably from week 9 and on.  Now looking back, you cannot even tell I was pregnant!!! Ha! I can't believe how big I thought I was.  Ridiculous.  It is all in self-perception, and mine was way off. I do think that the gas and bloating are no joke.  There was plenty of discomfort and pants really did feel snug. But still.


My overall first trimester experience was a good one.  I only felt a consistent nausea for weeks 6-8, and that was during the holidays when I wasn't working.  I did move slower in the mornings and tried my best to snack and not have an empty stomach to avoid nausea.

My biggest issue was probably my contacts! My hair, skin and eyes were so dry for the first half of this pregnancy.  I hated wearing my glasses to work, especially when you already feel bloated, washed out and yucky.  I will never forget one student telling me he knew my secret!! He told me I was touching my stomach a lot, and had less energy.  He was so confident that I was pregnant....I lied and told him he was crazy.

I did keep running and doing yoga during the first trimester.  My energy level was pretty low, but I wanted to commit to being active throughout the whole pregnancy.  I do not regret that decision!

That is pretty much all there was to the first third of this pregnancy! We kept busy and had a great time with family over the holidays, moving into our town home and going to the high school retreat with our church youth group.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment